Monday, February 11, 2013

Best ......


The check list in my head needs a little trimming so I got a move on with all the stuff I have to accomplish. So I started with our luggage. I got them all out and mapped out where to put what. Then I proceeded to sort some of the things we’re bringing as well as those that are unnecessary, therefore will be left behind. I’m almost done with one of the bags and that’s as far as I can go at the moment. Next on the list is to go to the bank and make sure that everything is progressing as it should.

After ticking some things off my checklist, I opted to correspond with friends. I was surprised to get in touch with my best friend since freshman high school. We haven’t talked in a while because of our tumultuous schedules but as we are; we always try to keep in touch and time doesn’t really change our friendship status as best friends. Whenever we meet up, it seemed like no time has passed. He is the easiest person to talk to and he reads me like a book.

And yes, my best friend is a “HE”. Contrary to popular belief, girls and boys can be friends without being further involved. We’ve known each other for almost 13 years now and nothing is tainted. He’s an electronics and communications engineer at a prominent TV station. He’s expertise lies in Math while mine is in English. He is one of my soul mates (Yes, I believe in having multiple soul mates; relate to “Sex and The City”). We have a ton of things in common and yet we’re also different in so many ways. We talk about anything under the sun; work, friends, family, relationships, etc. Nothing is off limits. We are constantly supportive of each other and honest about our opinions. And of course, we never judge. That’s the beauty of our relationship.

I’m not saying that having a close male friend doesn’t bring up some scandal. We are purely innocent but people like to talk, even suggest silly things. We simply brush them off. The only serious issue we are always careful with is when our GF/BF gets jealous. I’ve been in that loop a ton of times now that I’ve developed a protocol. There is no reason for the green-eyed monster to peak so I make clarifications and lay down exactly what we are and that usually clears the air. Great thing about Ogot is he is not insecure. He knows I’m invested in him and he’s confident with our relationship.

With our migration nearby, I thought about the people and things I’d miss. On top of that list is him. There is comfort in knowing that he was always just a phone call away. In a few days he’ll be 1,476 miles away. We can no longer just randomly decide to meet up and get coffee or something to that effect. Those were the days.. But it’s okay. There are plenty of ways to keep in touch and we’ve managed over the years. We’ll make it work. We always had and we always will..



No comments:

Post a Comment